Thursday, October 27, 2011

PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE MUFFINS

 This creation is probably my favorite to bake, simply because the batter is smooth and the outcome is so beautiful! Look at those muffin tops, how they peak and crust to a perfect brown in random spots. And they are SO dense, which is appropriate for the flavor! PB Chocolate, as I have labeled it in my recipe book, is my 3rd best recipe, not because it is in high demand (nut allergies have prevented that) but because I believe it is right up there with the Pumpkin Apple and Raspberry Chocolate, as far as quality is concerned!

Ready to go? Let's make muffins!
My favorite and most useful tip for this recipe is to lightly coat your measuring cup with oil (I used the spatula to spread a very thin layer of oil) before scooping peanut butter into it. Cleaning PB is my least favorite part of the process, and this step eliminates a lot of that! 

Allow your milk and lightly beaten eggs to reach room tempurature. Mix your dry ingredients, and pre-measure the chocolate chips, coating them in some flour mixture (it really does keep the chips from sinking to the bottom!).


Random photo insert: our daughter, doing schoolwork on her own. I said that I wouldn't post any face shots of her on random sites, but this was too difficult to pass up... While I toiled over the batch of muffins that had to get done before we began schoolwork today, she sneaked a peek at her book, took a pencil, and completed the alphabet maze without me. Then, single-handedly (lol), she finished the entire book of tracing uppercase and lowercase letters and successfully identified which objects began with those letters. I was SO proud of my preschooler for doing pre-K work on her own initiative.




Back to baking: I prefer to melt my butter at the last moment, right before I add it to my room-temperature wet ingredients. Recipe books have suggested letting the melted butter cool before adding it. I've found that this makes my butter clump, preventing it from thoroughly spreading throughout the batter. You will find what works best for you.





For my 'beginner' bakers, here is a series of photos, showing the progression of peanut butter and warm butter being blended...





Remember to add the chocolate chips BEFORE the batter is completely combined. LESS (mixing) is MORE (moist).



Every recipe differs in how it rises, based on whether baking soda or powder is used, how much is used, and other such factors. This recipe in particular rises very well, so I have no problem getting a decent dome top when I only fill 2/3 full or so. To add a great finish, throw a few random chocolate chips on the tops before placing in the oven.







Pardon me while I INDULGE in some personal photos! When your child shows such great interest in schoolwork and makes an effort such as mine did, you can't help but bring out the huge rewards!
Gelato for everyone while the muffins are in the oven: Double Dark Chocolate and Meditteranean Mint for my two chocolate fiends, and Carribbean Coconut for me!  Darn, I knew I should have bought the raspberry gelato. What better combination than mild (coconut) and tart (raspberry)??




And eating directly from the container is the ONLY way to eat frozen dessert in our house!



HERE ARE MY BEAUTIFUL GEMS OF A MUFFIN! SIMPLY GORGEOUS!

Now, follow the recipe below, and share your thoughts with us!


















PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE MUFFINS

2 1/4 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 C brown sugar
6 T butter, melted
1/2 C peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 C milk
3/4 C chocolate chips*

* milk chocolate is the best match, but semi-sweet works also!

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar.  In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, peanut butter, eggs, and milk until smooth.  Pour into flour mixture and stir until JUST combined. Stir in chocolate chips.  Batter will be thick.  Fill paper-lined muffin pans 2/3 in each cup.  Bake for 20 minutes (about 25 for jumbo muffins) or until toothpick comes out clean and mfufin top springs back when lightly pressed.  Let sit 3-5 minutes in pan. Cool muffins on a wire rack. 



1 comment:

  1. I just might have to try this one. The only way I would love chocolate in anything is when it's combined with peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete