Thursday, October 13, 2011

Orange Chocolate (this is for you, Julie O!)

The orange chocolate muffin is not for everyone. Even I, the self-proclaimed muffin maniac, do not crave more than a bite or two of this powerfully vibrant flavor, but there exists a select number who appreciate the marriage of tangy citrus and sweet, smooth chocolate.

While my sister visits us this week, she has asked me to be a guest on her blog, and I, in turn, have asked her to help me bake muffins. We chose the orange chocolate recipe, because I have long needed to experiment with it in order to improve it's shelf-life. Besides, my sister's husband is one of those people who delights in orange flavor melded with chocolate. In exchange for my newly revamped recipe, I think I'll have her cook dinner all week! Ha ha!

Here is the complimentary recipe. My only requirement is that you let us know how you enjoyed them! And if I tweak it further with success, I will be sure to inform you!

ORANGE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS

Ingredients
2 C flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C sugar
1 C milk
1/4 C butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange extract
2/3 C chocolate chips
orange peel from 1-2 oranges


Directions
Preheat oven to 375F. Combine milk, eggs, vanilla, and orange extract. Set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Make a well in center. Melt butter in a small bowl and add to wet mixture. Pour dry ingredients into wet mixture and combine until JUST moistened. Fold in chocolate chips and orange peel (do not overmix). Fill cups 2/3 full*. Bake 15-20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.

* Note: for flatter tops, fill muffin cups half full. For dome-shaped tops, fill cups 3/4 full (only 5 muffin cups) and check them at 20 minutes. If toothpick comes out like batter still, check again in 5 minute increments. :o)

1 comment:

  1. I have first-handedly (is that even a word?) tasted these myself! Scott will adore these! Yay on the blog!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete